7. Ever noticed this on web pages:
RSS feeds are a method for sharing updates to websites. Using an aggregator allows you to pull in many updates to just one account. Therefore, instead of pulling up 10 different websites, i.e. book reviews from the NYT and WP, NPR's Fresh Air, SEC football headlines, ACC basketball headlines, upcoming exhibitions at the Smithsonian, cartoons from the New Yorker, even posts from listservs (VA-Hist, anyone?), I can read, save, and delete all from one screen. Think: the CNN ticker, but with stories that interest you.
This week set up an aggregator or newsreader account. Curious as to what that is, click here.
In terms of newsreaders, I personally prefer Bloglines, but it will involve creating yet another user ID and password. If you want to use your Google account information (remember, Blogger is part of the Google-sphere) you can opt to set up an iGoogle or Google Reader page if you'd prefer. (I also have these as well.)
Once you have created your aggregator account, subscribe to three different blogs and/or websites. Include at least one VHS 23 Things participant's blog in your feed; heck it could even be this one.
8. Use at least one of the following sites to search for feeds to blogs that interest you: topix.net or syndic8.com.
Remember to include in your blog your thoughts about the aggregator you chose to use, the feeds you grabbed, and the usefulness of topix or syndic8 in tracking down feeds.

1 comment:
Ok, I am behind and just completed last weeks assignment on RSS feeds. Thank you Katherine for your help!!! I have finally created an RSS feed for the new books that the University of Richmond library has added to their collections that deal with American history. YEA!!!! Warning, this is something that I would love for us to offer our library researchers here!!!
Post a Comment